On Jan 10th 2016, Lions Club of Berkeley Annapurna successfully completed the 79th Students Speaker contest for Club level contest in Himalayan Flavors Restaurant in Berkeley. The Club President Lion Dhruva Thapa welcomed all the guests, Judges, Tellers, Time Keepers, invited guests and all the Club officers and members. He highlightef about the meeting and explained about the importance and role of our club for conducting such events. He further informed that the club has done lots of new projects and events . For the first time Student Peace poster contest and Environmental Photo contest also included in our calendar of event and hoped the event would continue even in coming years.
The program coordinator of the event Dr. Tika Lamsal officially announced one winner to represent club to participate Zone Level contest.He also welcomed all the Judges, participants and members for their valuable presents to encourage High School Students to present their speech more confidently. He further read out the rules and all the necessary information before starting the contest.
The contest started right at 8:30 am and concluded all the contests and meeting at 10:30 Am. According to Students speaker contest rules no one allowed to take picture or record the speech while students deliver their speech and the same rules will be followed till they reach in final contest in June. The program is sponsor by The Lions Fourth District Student Speakers foundation Inc, a California-based non-profit corporation. The Council of Governors has chosen “Liberty and Justice for All”…What Does It Mean to You? as the 2015-2016 Student Speaker Contest Topic. This year marks the 79th annual Student Speakers Contest and is open to all California High School students. This contest gives the students an opportunity to really focus their gift of public speaking through research, drafting and oratorical skills.
- The awards for the contest are as follows:
- Paid by Lions checks: Club Contests – The Club shall present $100.00 to the winner and $25.00 to each finalist. (who completes minimum time).
- Zone Contests – The District shall present $150.00 to the winner only.
- Region Contests – The District shall present $250.00 to the winner only. 7 Paid by the Lions 4th District Student Speakers Foundation Inc:
- District Contests – The fifteen winners shall each receive a $4,500.00 scholarship.
- Area Contests – The four winners shall each receive a $6,500.00 scholarship.
- Final Contest – The winner of the MD-4 Contest shall receive a $10,000.00 scholarship.
There were 30 participants on the event including judges, members and contestants. The Club President thanked all for their valuable presence and also announce the winner of Environmental photo contest who will further represent club to District level and if selected the photographs will feature in Lions International Convention 2016 in Japan. The winner and participants of the photo contest is Lion Govind Shahi, who is also a well know businessman of the area and passionate in photography. He loves taking pictures of nature, traveling and often seen him covering events photographs in our community. we wish him all the success for this contest. His photo was chosen on the basis of given outline.
Lions from clubs in good standing can enter an original, unaltered, black-and-white or color photo (without people) of the environment of their Lions club in the following 2015-2016 Lions Environmental Photo Contest
• Animal Life
• Landscape (Urban or natural)
• Plant Life
• Weather Phenomenon
• Special Theme: Dignity, harmony, humanity: Celebrating the peaceful coexistence of species.
The impartial judging of photos should focus on originality, artistic merit, and portrayal of the environmental theme.
• LIONS CLUBS select and submit one winning photo to the district.
• LIONS DISTRICTS select and submit one winning photo to the multiple district. January 15, 2016 is the suggested deadline for districts to submit one 8” x 10” (20.3 x 25.4 cm) printed photo to the multiple district.
Members /officers Attendance alphabetically
- Chaudhary Laxmi
- Chaudhary Khil
- Dhakal Ramchandra
- Dhungel Khagendra
- Gurung Ekata Bishnu
- karki Laxmi
- karki Uttam
- Lamichhane Bishnu
- Lamsal Tika
- Nepali Mani
- Paneru, Hema
- Phnuyal, Nirmal Kumar
- Rai, Rabindra
- Shahi, Govind
- Shrestha, Manil
- Thapa, Anil
- Thapa, Dhruva
- Thapa, Keshar B
Guests, Judges and participants
- Suman Shrestha
- Prem Lama
- Diya Mainali
- Tanvi Mainali
- Shradha Shakya
- Prasidh Thapa
- Mahesh Bhatta
- Manohara Thapa
- Bikash Adhikari
- Nirmala Dhungana
- Michael Mills
- Milan Shrestha